Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Day 3: Care-Keeper (30 day poetry challenge)



Care-Keeper

by Timothy Reed


A muffled cry on eggshell air

pressing down; holds fast the earth.

My empty vault of words to spare

but just two arms for what they're worth.

Two arms like time's arms, growing fat;

they jumped and spun, began to win

with my arms bound and tongue held fast

I watched you shrink with spirit thin

as winter marched in hot July

and ate you up with victor's cry

He spat you out one dark-filled night

but didn't weigh the acorn's might. 


I carried that husk on in me

and only by great pains did it shrink

at last I had made some small room free

to add a new aim: a golden link.

A lily upon the time-worn grave

of my old charge, my old dear care

fully of memories strong-clinging to air.

Suddenly a new start, 

new and fresh to daily learn - 

my new subject, love's dark burn

and I became a better man

for every blood-drop shed, hard-changed plans


and then a third, a nursery

and all my captive fears set free.

They learned to fly and daily make

my heart a warmer home of peace

when freed from brazen fear and take

heart, that as a steward I earn my keep. 




_____________

*form roughly based on Sylvia Plath's "Family Reunion"

No comments:

Post a Comment