Monday, April 11, 2022

Day 18: Resurrection




Resurrection
by Timothy Reed & Esther Miller


My mind swirls in the icy currents
And I rise to life anew with Christ

With Christ - yes, yet what heavy bread and wine
This is my blood, my body broken for you
As around me, blood spills in vain
I wonder if mine, too, will be spilled

In these sun-shunned fields of grain
I lie on my belly and pray
As rubble-stones seal every tomb
Will I rise again too?

Yet third-day’s sunbeams break the horizon
And the Spirit that raised Christ from the dead
Lifts me to my feet once more

 


This poem is based upon the true story of a young man in Ukraine who, several weeks ago, left a baptism at his church and on his way home was arrested to be sent to the military. Pacifist by religious conviction, he begged the police not to send him to the military, and eventually the police felt sorry for him, and let him go. We imagine that he then went into hiding, possibly in the young fields of winter wheat that are coming to spring life. May this young man experience Easter this year in a more real way than ever before.


“Find a friend. Write a collaborative poem that is at least 12 lines. Take turns by having one person write a line, then switch until you feel it is complete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment