Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Clinic



Clinic
by Timothy Reed


The cupboards stood in ranks
Symmetrical 
White as death-faces
Pegged eyes staring
in vacant malice

The table is flat and white
Like an unwritten book
Feigning innocence, charity 
Blank scroll stretches smooth as snow 
before a foot says “no more”

Soap, soap, soap
Scrubbing the scars, scabs
It loves raw things, open things
no warm, unsanitary memories will be left,
tolerated - all are effaced, eroded

And I smile and say something polite
Signing, smiling, signing again 
I would run, but for these wretched pink walls
Pink as cotton candy
Flat as a pressed shirt

My stomach turns
But my feet cannot
escape the white halls
the white faces
the white walls
and that pink - mocking pink
reeling me in like some hooked fish



No comments:

Post a Comment