Saturday, December 9, 2017

safe



safe
by Timothy Reed




t'was nigh unto sundown
when I passed your lane

indigo and crimson
warring for celestial dominance
in cloudy battlegrounds

and I saw your white-picket house,
like a movie-screen
alive with the glory above

smirking, smiling

the windows shuttered
the doors thrice-barred
the very model of security

and all round the yard, the baby's breath
whispered
"safe, safe"

it was only then that I
happened to notice a small
pocket of shadow by your stoop

a pocket no larger than a forgotten memory

and indeed it was
or it had been 
(and sunset suggested "will be again")

and there, dressed to the nines
stood a man with fair form
soft features and kind eyes

who, all the while
was breathing words
"charity, comfort"

but whose feet
lived in puddles of

bones
blood
carnage

blackest death

and I marveled at this
essential dissonance

and I wondered what
violence
debauchery
or hatred
that man must 
espouse - evangelize

and so I craned my neck
turned my ear
to hear what he muttered
beside your doorstep


"did he really say?"

"will he keep his word?

"am I his keeper?"

"does it make sense?"

and there he 
waited, watched
never loud, never loud
until sun died

and you
unlatched, unfastened
undid, unbarred
lifting locks, latches 
and bade him enter
and dine
dine
dine


and all round the yard, the baby's breath
whispered
"safe, safe"








No comments:

Post a Comment