Tuesday, February 24, 2015

27 Days of Poetry - Day I


27 Days of Poetry

Every day, for 27 days, I will write a poem - a gritty, honest, beautiful, ugly, common, unique snapshot of my thoughts and experience. 

I can't promise they'll all be great or will change our life. 

It's just one step forward into a more authentic life - a life where I meet myself face-to-face. Where I meet you, bringing the depth of my joy and shame to the coffee table. Where I meet the God-man in me and know Christ in my actions. Where I begin to see His name etched on my identity.

So here we go... Poem #I


I am 27
by Tim Reed

It's not the number of years I own
It's not the day or the year I was born

...so Why 27?
Because it's ordinary
...but it's far from cliche

  It could never live up to its 31, 40, or 365 rivals
...but it secretly never wanted to

It never represented a 1, 3, or 7's simplicity
27 is messier than that.

It's a number you don't notice - wouldn't choose

It's half-even, but with an unavoidable oddity

Why 27?
Because my life will never be just another Rick Warren reality
...because I don't want it to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment